Once you leave Honolulu, there's a whole island to explore!
NEW TO ALL OF THIS?
Here's a quick review for first timers to Honolulu and Oahu
- Honolulu is Hawaii's largest city
- Honolulu is located on the southern shore of Oahu
- Within Honolulu is the Waikiki hotel district and trendy Chinatown - with many popular bars, restaurants, and a big street party the 1st Friday of each month.
- Pearl Harbor is 30 minutes west of Honolulu..
- The "North Shore" is an hour north of Honolulu. There is only one resort there, Turtle Bay.
- The Polynesian Cultural Center is 45 minutes northeast of Honolulu.
- The Ko Olina hotel district kis an hour outside Honolulu to the west, past Pearl harbor. There you will find a resort development with four enclosed lagoons. Ko Olina is home to Disney's Aulani and the Four Seasons., plus some very nice condominiums. If you want to play in Disney Aulani's amazing pool complex you'll need to stay there. as day passes aren't available.
MAKING THE MOST OF YOUR VISIT TO OAHU
You can tour the island of Oahu in a long 8 to 10 hour day (excluding a Pearl Harbor visit), and many tours offered do just that. Some tours are better than others, and I'm here to help you choose. There's plenty to see and do! To cover the sites and get in a little beach time, plan on staying on Oahu at least 4 - 5 days unless you just want to tour Pearl Harbor. The day you arrive in Hawaii is pretty much shot, unless you're immune to jet lag. Any days you choose to fly between the islands only leaves you a half day for the beach or touring around. Many spend their whole vacation on Oahu, especially first time visitors. Some divide their visits to Oahu with time in Honolulu, then moving on to more peaceful surroundings found in Ko Olina or the north shore. Another option is the lovely Kahala resort, located 15 minutes out from Waikiki.
VIDEO: Surfing competitions are popular in Winter
You know those huge waves that surfers seem to ride effortlessly? They can be found on the North Shore.
When the winter conditions are right you'll find them here. The season also brings several surfing competitions.
You'll find the scenic north coast to be on the quiet side dotted with uncrowded beaches. The local residents have been very vocal about limiting devolpment.
Don't visit without savoring a meal of freshly prepared shrimp from one of the famous food trucks! Alone worth the trip.
Makes for a nice day trip from Waikiki. A variety of tours are offered for those not wanting to go the rental car route.
VIDEO: See the North Coast through the eyes of Tutu Janet
as she sings the "turtle Bay Song"
For more North Shore tourism information see: gonorthshore.org
TURTLE BAY RESORT
VIDEO: Kuoloa Ranch
MEANTIME OUT ON KUALOA RANCH...
There are plenty of ways to spend a day in the country
while visiting Waikiki. If you don't rent a car, most attractions and luaus offer pick ups at your hotel.
The Kualoa Ranch Adventure is a great day out in a lush green tropical setting. Ride an ATV or a horse, sail on a catamaran, or take a TV and Movie tour. See the settings for Lost, Jurassic Park, and Hawaii 50 to name a few. We can even arrange a wedding here!
Kualoa Ranch is my #1 Recommended Family Activity on Oahu!
There's something for everyone!
I can arrange half and full day visits with transportation
You've got to make this easy trip about an hour out of Waikiki. Don't miss the great snorkeling here! Besides a rental car. tours are offered, or easier yet just hop the city bus!
You'll find the basics on visiting Hawaii
with helpful videos of each island